Thanks for visiting my website!
As a published author, I love visiting schools to inspire students to read and write for pleasure. I have over fifteen years’ experience of visiting primary and secondary schools across the country and offer one-off workshops, day visits and longer residencies. My approach and qualifications include:
- Building students’ investment, ownership and enjoyment of creative writing.
- Encouraging reading for pleasure.
- Co-creating stories with students using drama, oracy and other interactive techniques to inspire un-confident writers and reluctant readers.
- Modelling writing as a career through Q&As, writing alongside students, book readings and signings.
- Asking critical questions to encourage young people to develop empathy, understanding and wisdom through writing.
- A Masters in Creative Writing and Drama in Education, graduating with distinction and the Deans Prize for Academic Achievement at Masters level.
- Current research exploring adoption through creative writing by undertaking a doctorate at Leeds Beckett University.
- Artistic Direction of Theatre in Education company Suitcase and Spectacles.
- First story Author in Residence, currently working with two secondary schools in West Yorkshire.
- Part of Leeds Beckett University’s Storymakers Company, a collaboration of writers, drama practitioners, academics and educationalists sharing research and best practice to inspire and empower young learners.
Day visits often include a whole school assembly, workshops for specific classes or year groups and a book signing. Please get in touch to talk about specific requirements. Below are some of the workshops I offer. I can also design bespoke workshops according to your needs. Don’t hesitate to ask if you have a suggestion or question. I look forward to hearing from you. Contact me.
“The preparation was excellent. The year 9 top set English really enjoyed the author’s talk and had thought of lots of intelligent questions to ask. Very interactive session. We had a week of events arranged as “Reading Week” and Daniel’s visit started the week off perfectly.”
Helen Rose, Librarian, Boroughbridge High School
Click the links below to find out more about the workshops I offer:
Full Day (up to four one hour sessions) £375 +expenses
Half Day (two one hour sessions) £295 +expenses
Single workshop (one hour session) £195 +expenses
There is a £25 additional charge for the ‘Create your own adventure story’ workshop to cover materials and preparation time.
For further enquiries or to book a visit, please contact me.
Suitcase and Spectacles Children’s Theatre has connected workshops and performances. See their website here. (Discounts are available for those who book author workshops and Suitcase and Spectacles performances)